Insights from a Glory-Bound Lady”
Volume 3 Number 31 “In Honor of Your Pastor’s Wife” (Part 3)
August 19, 2020
Years ago Karen and I had the tremendous honor of speaking to pastors and wives at a conference sponsored by the Practical Bible College. Karen spoke to the pastors’ wives about a very real situation that many are facing. Most pastors’ wives are very busy ministering to the needs of the ladies in the church. But who is ministering to her needs? It is my intention in these few weeks to honor pastors’ wives all around the world.
Karen’s outline for the workshop:
1. Preparing for disappointments
2. Sharing our disappointments
3. Caring through our disappointments
Karen wrote: Hurts and disappointments come in a great variety. Because we don’t know what crises may be awaiting us, we must be prepared. Preparation is a daily requirement.
Michael’s quick note: In her handwritten notes, she circled the word “daily.”
Karen continued: Those in the military drill daily in case they are called into action. God has promised that we shall have tribulation (John 16:33). Doesn’t it seem logical that we should be prepared?
We need to have the following consistently operating in our lives.
1. A daily walk with the Lord. “My voice You shall hear in the morning, O LORD; In the morning I will direct it to You, and I will look up” (Psalm 5:3).
2. A faithful worship of the Lord. “”Oh come, let us worship and bow down; Let us kneel before the LORD our Maker” (Psalm 95:6).
3. A submissive will toward the Lord. “I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God” (Romans 12:1-2).
These things demonstrate a changed life and prepare us for the challenges we face.
Michael’s observation: Karen was a wonderful pastor’s wife. The things that she included in this workshop are great for men and women. Really the things that I lifted from her workshop notes are three things that every believer should possess. But I take us back to remembering that this workshop was shared with pastors’ wives. I will be very honest with you. Many have very little idea of how much their pastor’s wife faces on a regular basis. She carries in her heart the joys and sorrows of ministry as well as the disappointments that come to her in her role.
Please take time this week to not only encourage your pastor but, please, especially encourage your pastor’s wife. The Lord will be pleased, and she will be blessed. You’ll be glad that you did.